News:

Log in and take part in one of our POLLS, where you can answer questions about UA and non-UA related items.  Then, feel free to start a poll of your own.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: What is a module you would...
Last post by hans - Today at 09:07:43 PM
Quote from: Donnie Ewald on Today at 05:23:56 AMWhat comes to mind as most unique is the approach that hans has taken with several different modules. Quite often it's an idea, or theme, that he explores in a non-traditionally Gold Box way. Or Harri Polsa's Jade modules and their more nuanced characters and adult approach.

Indeed, most of my mods are experimental, to some degree or other, some being extremely experimental.  

It seems to me that to qualify as both unique and very different from normal or average UA mods, that a mod would have to be different from the GoldBox standards in at least one of the following ways: 

It would have to be of a different genre from the Forgotten Realms or similar general fantasy. 
OAUA would certainly qualify, being so radically hacked and distinctly Asian in its milieu. 
I would recommend:
OA-td1.dsn and OA-td2.dsn(The Tale of Twin Dragons: Parts 1&2 ) by Darius Whiteheart (note --they do require the OA Worldhack). 

It would have to have a different tone from standard GoldBox, such as more humorous. 
I would recommend:
Swothing.dsn (The Quest for the Sword of the Things) by Harri Polsa,
and Yezu3.dsn (The Curse of Yezukriis III:  Lifestyles of the Lich and Famous) by Steve Gustafson.

It would have to be a pre-party, preferably a single-PC party.
I would recommend:
Roguesin.dsn (Rogues in the House) by Surge Protector,
and Tisthese.dsn ('Tis the Season) by Brangvyne.

It would have to be a short, mini mod.
I would recommend:
Paddi.dsn (A Rich Man's Folly) by Glen Sprigg, and
Guard.dsn (The Royal Guard: Faithful Beyond Death) by Han Xu (Rasyc).

Or mods that combine several of the above differences. 
I would recommend: 
BrChaos.dsn (Buck Rogers XXV: Chaos Factor) by Ben Sanderfer,
Daysfull.dsn (The Last Days of Autumn) by Harri Polsa,
Liberty.dsn (Dark Day For Liberty) by Septimus II,
Onenwn.dsn (One Neverwinter Night) by Nol Drek,
Super6.dsn (Superman Robot Number 6) by D.R.A.K.E,
Wonder.dsn (The Adventures of Wonder Woman) by Steve Gustafson,
and YuYu1.dsn (Yu Yu Hakusho: "Blood on a Red, Red Rose") by Devon7.

I'm sure there are a number of others that would be right at home on the above lists, but (apologies to the authors) these are the ones that came first to mind.

General Discussion / Re: Carolingian Romance
Last post by Nol Drek - Today at 07:54:11 PM
OLGER DANSKES KRONIKE was written in 1515 by Christian Pederson and is a Dansh translation of the French poem "Roman d'Ogier" from the 14th century. The first half of OLGER DANSKES KRONIKE contains essentially the same story as the French chanson de geste "Chevalerie d'Ogier", which was written by Raimbert de Paris in the 13th century. The second half of the story takes place after the Battle of Roncesvalles, when Roland and Oliver are already dead. OLGER DANSKES KRONIKE includes the story of the six fairies who blessed Ogier in his cradle, his relationship with Morgan le Fey, his adventures in Babylon, and his return to France from Avalon two hundred years later.

https://noldrek.com/charlemagne/olgerdanskes.html
General Discussion / Re: UA music festival - share ...
Last post by Milos Gulan - Today at 05:52:50 PM
Greyhawk - The Golden Candle

Fantastic  :like:
For those of you who might want those images without backgrounds, here they are.

However, ClipDrop did a terrible job both with the staff of the Dark Mage (which is missing the top) and the Ogre (also missing the top).  The Huntress also has some of her bow missing.  This is why I rarely use ClipDrop anymore. If anyone knows of any other AI tools to remove backgrounds, definitely let me know.

Fiction / Re: Ideas I will never use...
Last post by ephiroll - Today at 06:17:47 AM
I've got ideas written down in notebooks that are 20 years old and I have the next 5 years of projects lined up at any given time, so I'm not sure if I'd ever go so far as to say I'd 'never' use something...and that word 'never' itself...lol
Last post by ephiroll - Today at 06:03:55 AM
Honestly, I don't look for unique in anything. I've been a reader, writer, and game designer for nearly 35 years and the first way to spot a newbie is to look for the person trying to be 'unique'. Nothing is unique in any way. Everything created is an amalgamation of everything experienced before and while creating it. Therefore, I almost entirely look at how smooth something is to determine where it fits on any sort of scale. I've messed with several modules at this point and a couple do come to mind, if tech errors are ignored, but I'd have to look at more to actually put that in perspective. I also draw a distinction between the writing and story and the technical execution in these modules, because all three require different skills. Someone can be a great writer but can't tie the module together, and someone can be great at putting the module together but you can't stand to read a sentence they wrote. I've ran across both and more in the modules I've looked at so far.
Last post by Donnie Ewald - Today at 05:23:56 AM
What comes to mind as most unique is the approach that hans has taken with several different modules. Quite often it's an idea, or theme, that he explores in a non-traditionally Gold Box way. Or Harri Polsa's Jade modules and their more nuanced characters and adult approach.
Last post by Milos Gulan - Today at 04:48:01 AM
Something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsrwkgczakM

On the other hand ... I am cose to finish Sellswords trilogy by R.A.S. Curious is that it is not about Drizz but about Entreri and Jarlaxle that were bad guys...

Now I was thinking how would be if we could have option to make more then one party and switch adventuring with other parties... My thoughs were just like in those adventures to have good party but also dark side party which should develop dark side encounters and make it more interesting, maybe there could be one neutral also...

That is something like in MECCG playing minions of the Sauron side, but there is also shadow which is a bit less evil (that is agents or spies and not minions)... Anyway it shouldn't be really evil just somehow adventuring with evil guys maybe that have option to turn to good like Drizzt...

A bit complicated but ultimatively I was wishing for 2 or 3 parties in one module... I figured that it could only be done with NPCs maybe and one main character, but it is still one and not 2 or 3 stories that are different but maybe connected...
Last post by Milos Gulan - Today at 04:36:16 AM
I am not sure but I think Prophetsword's mix of Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance for me was most new if not unique... Forgot the names of the module but I finished one but not the 2nd part I think...

Now what for me would be even more unique... maybe some mix of lots of worlds even an alternate history... What I would like to see workable is Steampunk weapons (fire arms up till Wild West era) with middle ages and also SF weapons and modern weapons... Now I guess Star Wars is something that would be most close to it...

I was thinking for example some Forgotten Realms heroes teleport in middle ages Earth and adventure there... Or just some SpellJammer adventures trough spaces with all kind of weapons and magic with various tech levels that still work good together...

This probably is too complicated but oh well I just imagine it as an really epic low to high tech and fantasy adventure ... Also Underwater adventure are fairly new to me and maybe planar... but underwater adventuring look really good in FRUA...