News:

Log in and take part in one of our POLLS, where you can answer questions about UA and non-UA related items.  Then, feel free to start a poll of your own.

Main Menu

STICKY: Dungeon Craft Editor Feature Requests

Started by Nol Drek, November 02, 2012, 09:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manikus

Interesting ideas to consider, Mechanaut. :)

ProphetSword

Quote from: manikus on November 13, 2019, 02:17:25 PM
I have noticed for years that these forums are driven largely by people posting a new thing and then people responding to it. The longer we go in-between posts of new things, the more people drift away.

There are those of us lurking about who don't respond all the time; because we probably don't have anything to add to the conversation.  I wouldn't necessarily assume the number of participants are the only interested parties.

We actually see this sometimes in the FRUA section of the forums.  A module is released, for example, but only a person or two respond about it.  But, actual number of downloads is much higher than the people who say something about it...if that makes any sense.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Milos Gulan

I am never giving up on it, just to learn to do it all good and I am hoping I will be able to someday programm it too :), and also I will support it as much as I can. I still don't wan't to talk about it to people unless I really am able to make things good with it and ideally if I could learn to programm it myself and script. I plan to introduce it to people whom I will be playing in the future... About giving up only thing that was problematic was synchronizing engine updates with module, and maybe it is still a bit but it is all very good and really with high potential to make nice adventures, but yeah it is not so easy to make, maybe very small adventures would work best, but it seems I am not the type that is satisfied with it  8)

To be honest my group started to drink more then I like and I need one more year to get my degree so I need to keep working on my first goal. On the good side I have learned a lot, right now doing access. I think this is the crown of it all, if I am able to make things like Paul :)

Oh well dreams are there now the harder part to make them into reality :D

manikus

Quote from: ProphetSword on November 14, 2019, 08:18:32 PM
Quote from: manikus on November 13, 2019, 02:17:25 PM
I have noticed for years that these forums are driven largely by people posting a new thing and then people responding to it. The longer we go in-between posts of new things, the more people drift away.

There are those of us lurking about who don't respond all the time; because we probably don't have anything to add to the conversation.  I wouldn't necessarily assume the number of participants are the only interested parties.

We actually see this sometimes in the FRUA section of the forums.  A module is released, for example, but only a person or two respond about it.  But, actual number of downloads is much higher than the people who say something about it...if that makes any sense.

You make excellent points. You are one of several people that I assume is reading the forums, whether or not you are posting. :)

I've also been around the community long enough to see this happen multiple times in the FRUA forums and in these forums. I will be here until the forums close or move, and even then I will still be messing with this. ;) Even when it's quiet here, you never know what cool thing will pop up or when.

Milos Gulan

I think it would be cool if there were two different icons for DC and DC Editor. It would visualy helps to make difference between them when needed.

Nice2GnomeYe

#170
1) Please add all the spells from 1e that haven't been included already and also those from 1.5e (Unearthed Arcana) — except for spells like Phantasmal Force that can't really be implemented easily or which have no value in the Gold Box environment (such as Spider Climb).

I know there are text files for spells like Colour Spray. Do they work or are they placeholders?

I am bored of the small selection of spells in Gold Box games. Being able to use/choose more spells would be a big improvement to the creativity. Not having to try to create them myself would be great. I have already been working on some self-created spells but they're only small changes to existing spells. Implementing new spells (like Colour Spray) may be beyond my ability.

2) I would like to see some kind of witch class. There were a bunch of them in Dragon. Some usable form of witch would be nice. Null Null helpfully identified which spells and items would be able to be implemented easily enough in FRUA. If they can work in FRUA they would be able to work in DC. Not having flying in Gold Box does take wind out of the sails of the class, in terms of flavor — and carrying cauldrons around isn't so easy. But, even a few witch-only spells and such would be flavorful. The male would be called warlock but the mechanics would be the same.

One very weird mechanic in the first version of the witch is that a witch's magic can't affect clerics. That makes them too weak as PCs but it would be interesting for opponents. Having more than one type of witch (one that can't affect clerics and one that can) would be even better but I won't push my luck. Turning off cleric immunity would be easy to do in the text file anyway.

3) I would really like to see the Kender (hoopak and taunt). I didn't like the Kender when I first played DQK but they've grown on me.

4) Perhaps the databases release information should be listed under the version number in the DC launch screen. This would make it easier to know if the databases are up-to-date. It would also be good to have an audit to check to see if they're all the same release version, with a visual warning if they aren't — in case someone didn't manage to update all of them when doing them one by one. Modifying the databases wouldn't throw any warning because the databases would have a line that tells the program what the version is and the user doing the edits would leave that alone. So, under the version for the program would be a databases version number with a green check mark or something if they check out and a warning icon if they don't. What would be ideal is to be able to click the database line to get info for all of the databases (to identify which one/s are a out of date, for instance). An audit of the config file would also be good, as figuring out if one's config file is appropriate to a release of DC is rather mysterious. So, perhaps put in a line for the config file version under the line for the databases and give a green check mark if it's suitable for that release.

5) An illusionist class that lacks the backbone spells (like Phantasmal Force) but which has some spells the mage would be nice to have for the flavor. I'd probably make the spell list similar, although not identical, to the mage's. Mirror Image, Blur, Blink, Gaze Reflection, Colour Spray... there are a good number of illusion spells that can be implemented. Magic User is a very bland name. Illusionist and Witch have more cachet, just as Paladin and Ranger are sexier than Fighter. The Krynn games had Red Robe, White Robe, and Black Robe mages. Their spell lists were very similar. It's probably easy to make an illusionist spell list that's more different than the difference between a Red Robe and White Robe mage comparison. I am willing to help with research and suggestions about the spell list.

6) Please implement the draconians and their explosion mechanics — and all Gold Box enemy types not present in DC.

7) A more pie-in-the-sky request is to implement all the enemies from 1e (and maybe Dragon) that weren't implemented in Gold Box, as long as they can be implemented of course.

It would be ideal for DC to be more than a FRUA emulator. It already offers more so it already is more than that. So, I hope expansion will be seen as an advantage going forward. In particular, I think it makes the most sense to offer everything available in the Gold Box games rather than just what FRUA offered. FRUA had budget constraint and memory/storage constraint to hold it back. It wasn't as simple as it was because that was a benefit. That can be seen in how much other stuff was done in DQK and PoD.

Paul R. Stevens


manikus

Quote from: Nice2GnomeYe on October 03, 2021, 11:03:19 PM
1) Please add all the spells from 1e that haven't been included already and also those from 1.5e (Unearthed Arcana) — except for spells like Phantasmal Force that can't really be implemented easily or which have no value in the Gold Box environment (such as Spider Climb).

I know there are text files for spells like Colour Spray. Do they work or are they placeholders?

I am bored of the small selection of spells in Gold Box games. Being able to use/choose more spells would be a big improvement to the creativity. Not having to try to create them myself would be great. I have already been working on some self-created spells but they're only small changes to existing spells. Implementing new spells (like Colour Spray) may be beyond my ability.
Until someone informs me that a spell doesn't work, I aam assuming that all added  spells function correctly.

As for adding all of the spells...if you can figure out how to make Limited Wish or Wish work, I would be happy to add them  (to pick the two most difficult that come to mind).

Quote from: Nice2GnomeYe on October 03, 2021, 11:03:19 PM
2) I would like to see some kind of witch class. There were a bunch of them in Dragon. Some usable form of witch would be nice. Null Null helpfully identified which spells and items would be able to be implemented easily enough in FRUA. If they can work in FRUA they would be able to work in DC. Not having flying in Gold Box does take wind out of the sails of the class, in terms of flavor — and carrying cauldrons around isn't so easy. But, even a few witch-only spells and such would be flavorful. The male would be called warlock but the mechanics would be the same.

One very weird mechanic in the first version of the witch is that a witch's magic can't affect clerics. That makes them too weak as PCs but it would be interesting for opponents. Having more than one type of witch (one that can't affect clerics and one that can) would be even better but I won't push my luck. Turning off cleric immunity would be easy to do in the text file anyway.
if you provide me with the Dragon magazine numbers, I would be happy to take a look at the articles.

Quote from: Nice2GnomeYe on October 03, 2021, 11:03:19 PM
3) I would really like to see the Kender (hoopak and taunt). I didn't like the Kender when I first played DQK but they've grown on me.

6) Please implement the draconians and their explosion mechanics — and all Gold Box enemy types not present in DC.
I've mentioned elsewhere in the forums, that if someone wanted to do a DragonLance conversion, I would be happy to help work-out the kinks in their scripts, but DL is not my thing and I have no interest in working on it.

Quote from: Nice2GnomeYe on October 03, 2021, 11:03:19 PM
4) Perhaps the databases release information should be listed under the version number in the DC launch screen. This would make it easier to know if the databases are up-to-date. It would also be good to have an audit to check to see if they're all the same release version, with a visual warning if they aren't — in case someone didn't manage to update all of them when doing them one by one. Modifying the databases wouldn't throw any warning because the databases would have a line that tells the program what the version is and the user doing the edits would leave that alone. So, under the version for the program would be a databases version number with a green check mark or something if they check out and a warning icon if they don't. What would be ideal is to be able to click the database line to get info for all of the databases (to identify which one/s are a out of date, for instance). An audit of the config file would also be good, as figuring out if one's config file is appropriate to a release of DC is rather mysterious. So, perhaps put in a line for the config file version under the line for the databases and give a green check mark if it's suitable for that release.
This one is as much for the programmer as for the scripter, so I'll speak to the way the scripts have been done in the past...
Not every database is changed for every release, in fact some of the databases have not been altered in years, nor do they need to be as they work properly. I have trying doing the update log as a version number (coinciding with the rlease version) and it proved quite confusing to some users who thought that they were missing versions of the database. It seemed silly to me to add another line of code with each new version that said "nothing changed". Paul put out hundreds of versions of DC over the years.

Quote from: Nice2GnomeYe on October 03, 2021, 11:03:19 PM
5) An illusionist class that lacks the backbone spells (like Phantasmal Force) but which has some spells the mage would be nice to have for the flavor. I'd probably make the spell list similar, although not identical, to the mage's. Mirror Image, Blur, Blink, Gaze Reflection, Colour Spray... there are a good number of illusion spells that can be implemented. Magic User is a very bland name. Illusionist and Witch have more cachet, just as Paladin and Ranger are sexier than Fighter. The Krynn games had Red Robe, White Robe, and Black Robe mages. Their spell lists were very similar. It's probably easy to make an illusionist spell list that's more different than the difference between a Red Robe and White Robe mage comparison. I am willing to help with research and suggestions about the spell list.
Why would I make illusionist versions of magic user spells when I have already made illusionist spells? Until someone tells me they don't work, I assume all working correctly. ;)
Just so you (and the other users) know, the default databases are not homebrew - they are all from official AD&D sources. This, however, does not mean that you (or anyone else) cannot do it for their own uses, including sharing with others to use.

Quote from: Nice2GnomeYe on October 03, 2021, 11:03:19 PM
7) A more pie-in-the-sky request is to implement all the enemies from 1e (and maybe Dragon) that weren't implemented in Gold Box, as long as they can be implemented of course.
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean enemies from other computer games? Do you mean villain NPCs from the AD&D game  books? Do you mean enemies from the AD&D novels?

Quote from: Nice2GnomeYe on October 03, 2021, 11:03:19 PM
It would be ideal for DC to be more than a FRUA emulator. It already offers more so it already is more than that. So, I hope expansion will be seen as an advantage going forward. In particular, I think it makes the most sense to offer everything available in the Gold Box games rather than just what FRUA offered. FRUA had budget constraint and memory/storage constraint to hold it back. It wasn't as simple as it was because that was a benefit. That can be seen in how much other stuff was done in DQK and PoD.
But, Dungeon Craft's mission was to be an updated version of FRUA. Paul spent many, many years working to make this so, including importing designs from FRUA into DC. (Paul  has also implemented quite a number of non-FRUA improvements that were user requests.) I've worked at adding 1e AD&D elements that expand on this for the default version of DC. This is to show what can be doen with DC. our hope has always been that if someone wanted  to make a new setting, modify the existing databases, or any other similar things, they could do it. It would be up to them whether or not to invite others to use thier work as a base, or even contribute to the project. I am still hoping for this. Dinonykos and Nol Drek are (excellent) examples of two DC creators who have used DC to do their own projects.
I've also been working on making and sharing a set of 2e databases for the community to use.
However, hotmustard is runnig the show now, so he may want to expand the mission. :)
     

Nice2GnomeYe

#173
Quote from: manikus on October 04, 2021, 05:17:17 PMif you provide me with the Dragon magazine numbers, I would be happy to take a look at the articles.
Okay. Null Null posted a lot of the information in two topics just recently, the second being solely about the different witch classes in Dragon. I'll post the relevant information in a moment.

Quote from: manikus on October 04, 2021, 05:17:17 PMThis one is as much for the programmer as for the scripter, so I'll speak to the way the scripts have been done in the past...
Not every database is changed for every release, in fact some of the databases have not been altered in years, nor do they need to be as they work properly. I have trying doing the update log as a version number (coinciding with the rlease version) and it proved quite confusing to some users who thought that they were missing versions of the database. It seemed silly to me to add another line of code with each new version that said "nothing changed". Paul put out hundreds of versions of DC over the years.
Well, it's a bit silly to go on a goose chase for the correct version of the config files to work with various versions of DC. How is that even done in an efficient manner? You recently told me that some changes were made to the config files that could render them incompatible with an older release of DC (such as 5.2.1). How are people going to know what is compatible and what isn't?

Quote from: manikus on October 04, 2021, 05:17:17 PMWhy would I make illusionist versions of magic user spells when I have already made illusionist spells? Until someone tells me they don't work, I assume all working correctly. ;)
They're not implemented at all. They're in a temp directory or something, right? How does someone even know that they're there unless they spelunk through the folders? How does someone know they work and aren't work in progress/placeholders? You may know these things but how are they clear to others?

Making illusionist versions of already-implemented spells wasn't my request (unless they are mechanically different). That would be redundant. Letting the illusionist class use mage spells (or certain mage spells) via an editor switch wouldn't be. I first requested that any illusionist spells (from official sources) be added to the game, so long as they can be useful in the Gold Box environment and can be implemented in an effective manner (unlike, for instance, Phantasmal Force).

The second request was more of a possible request. That was to include illusionist as a listed class. If being official is strongly important then it would get only the illusionist spells (from 1e and 1.5e I assume) that can be implemented well and which have a purpose in the Gold Box environment. It would also be ideal to be able to have customization in the editor to make it possible to give the class some of the mage spells to compensate for the loss of the backbone spells of the class due to their inability to be implemented in a practical/full manner in the Gold Box environment (e.g. Phantasmal Force).

There are two reasons behind the second 'possible request'. The first is to include all of the 1e classes, which I think is an admirable goal for a Gold Box emulator, even though SSI didn't implement some of the classes.

The second is that the name illusionist (like witch) has more flavour than 'magic user'. Even if the class isn't so different from magic user it's more interesting to have additional flavour, especially for those who have played a lot of Gold Box.

Quote from: manikus on October 04, 2021, 05:17:17 PMNot sure what you mean. Do you mean enemies from other computer games? Do you mean villain NPCs from the AD&D game  books? Do you mean enemies from the AD&D novels?
1e monster manual mainly. Dragon stuff if desired.

As far as the 'all Gold Box enemy types' — that would be any enemies that aren't in DC that exist in the Gold Box games. Since you've said no to DL it would have to be any enemies from the other Gold Box games. They wouldn't necessarily have to have the original names (due to copyright) but would have the same mechanics.

Quote from: manikus on October 04, 2021, 05:17:17 PM
But, Dungeon Craft's mission was to be an updated version of FRUA.
It has features that go well beyond FRUA, like advanced scripting and high resolution, right?

I'm not demanding anything. I am simply letting anyone who is interested know some ideas I have in terms of what I'd like to see. I assume that's the purpose of a feature requests thread. If I could program I would. I bought a Modula-2 book when I was a kid and realized that programming is not compatible with my brain. I am working on some art for DC but it won't be ready for some time.