News:

Be respectful of others when posting.  Keep your posts on topic.  And, most importantly, have fun.

Main Menu

Most "Open World" GoldBox Games

Started by hans, June 24, 2019, 08:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which GoldBox games had the most "open world" feel to them?

Pool of Radiance
7 (116.7%)
Curse of the Azure Bonds
4 (66.7%)
Secret of the Silver Blades
0 (0%)
Pools of Darkness
3 (50%)
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
0 (0%)
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
0 (0%)
Champions of Krynn
1 (16.7%)
Death Knights of Krynn
1 (16.7%)
Dark Queen of Krynn
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 23, 2019, 08:01:45 PM

hans

Inspired by a question from Null Null on the EGA combat icons board: 

Which of SSI's classic GoldBox computer games did you feel were most like an "open world" where you were given the greatest liberty and range to explore the gameworld freely, rather than having to follow the constraints of a more linear plot design? 

You have 5 votes, but you don't have to use all of them. 

Comments, as always, are very much appreciated.  For example, which of those games felt most linear?   

ProphetSword

Pool of Radiance was definitely open world, despite having a small scope. Curse of the Azure Bonds and Pools of Darkness increased the scope.

The rest were mostly linear affairs. I almost voted for Champions of Krynn until I remembered that there are places you can go where absolutely nothing happens if you go too early.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Olivier Leroux

I'll have to abstain from voting, as I didn't play through a single one of them ...  :-[ (unless you count Ray's remakes of POR and CotAB)

My favorite open world "GoldBox" game is probably The Sect.  ;D

Ray

I have many great memories of the Gold Box games, but one that still packs the same emotional punch is the moment that my characters first (accidentally) left the ruins around Phlan and entered the Overland Map...and I just sat there and stared.

Suddenly, I had no idea how far I would be traveling across the Realms, and it seemed like anything was possible.

I don't think I've ever experienced that sensation again.

Mannast

Pool of Radiance:  Playing it in one of my dorm-mate's room back in 89-90 was a great experience.  A group of us would sit around and control our individual characters while running the adventure in EGA.  As Ray said above, when our party left Phlan and entered the overland, we were almost overwhelmed.
Curse of the Azure Bonds:  This was played around the same time as Radiance and we would travel around the land, building our party up.
DQK maybe was more linear than I remember, but I loved playing it.
Mannast (aka J. Romane)
---------------------------
Designs -
City of Antonnia (new!)
Astranna
Darklands
Westlands of the High King
Xalderon's Journey
Mid-Level Crisis