News:

Have you played any UA modules today?

Main Menu

Your Favorite hans Mod

Started by hans, July 05, 2019, 11:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Of the mods authored by hans, which are your favorites?

Fire and Water (FnW.zip)
2 (33.3%)
Marshal Mars: Mars in Misalignment (Mars.zip)
1 (16.7%)
Unspoken Dream (Unspoken.zip)
0 (0%)
Superdead (Superded.zip)
0 (0%)
Kitsune: A Fox's Revenge (Kitsune.zip)
0 (0%)
An Oriental Alphabet Primer (OA_OA.zip)
1 (16.7%)
Major Mystery Serial "Chapter 1: To Smell a Rat" (Mj-M-1.zip)
0 (0%)
Kill the Heroes of Phlan (EGA.zip)
4 (66.7%)
Toudai-Oni (Toudai.zip)
0 (0%)
Guard-├ćon (Shuaaeon.zip)
0 (0%)
The Snow-Woman's Daughters (yukionna.zip)
0 (0%)
The Untimers, Issue #1: "ParadoXikill!" (SHUA-mu1.dsn)
1 (16.7%)
Oddities (oddities.zip) *writing as "Two-Bit Termite"
0 (0%)
Man-Storm (manstorm.zip)
0 (0%)
Avenge Dracandros! (ega_2.zip)
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: October 12, 2019, 11:16:20 PM

hans

What a disgusting display of egregious egotism!!!   :tongue2: 
Talk about fishing for compliments!!!   :bs:

Heh, heh.  That was my first thought.  When the idea for this Poll first occurred to me as a whimsy, I discarded it immediately, with a chuckle.  But then I thought about it and figured, hey, why not?  It might even start a trend.  I wouldn't mind participating in other authors' Polls along these lines.  And it might actually prove interesting...   

You get 3 votes.  You don't have to use all of them.   

You needn't have played all of them to vote.  If you just played 2, you could just pick your favorite of the pair (assuming you liked either).

Comments are very welcome, of course.  Ditto constructive criticisms.

ProphetSword

It probably won't come as a surprise that I like the Gold-Box inspired "sequels" more than anything else.  My votes are for "Kill the Heroes of Phlan" and "Avenge Dracondros!"

Also, this gives me an idea for a poll of my own...
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Milos Gulan

It seems I have only played and finshed Fire and Ice, funny I thought it was done by Ben. Very good module I liked it a lot and thanks for the list, I hope I will try few more, I think I maybe have played some of the OA modules but now I am not sure, but I think those are going to be my next.

Olivier Leroux

I think there's nothing disgusting or egotistic to it, I think it sounds like a fun idea. However, whether you were fishing for compliments or not, you're inevitably going to get them now!  :P The problem is, I am unable to participate because I have a really hard time deciding on my favorites with only three votes at my disposal, it would feel rather random to me.

I couldn't even vote for my least favorites, although I have to admit that contrary to Ben, for me the EGA Goldbox style module was a little less interesting than the rest, because I'm not really a fan of  the old GB games and have hardly played through any of them, and I prefer those modules that feel a little more personal and unique in art style and theme. That being said, Kill the Heroes of Phlan was a great module as well, despite that.

Actually, this poll kind of makes me want to play through all of them again to refresh my memory and find out if maybe, subtly, I do have favorites or not. It also made me realize that I might have missed out on some of the more recent ones, I'm not quite sure about that. (Sneaky, you!  ;D)

* And now this thread already made me re-install FRUA, OAUA, all of hans' designs, as well as Null Null's trilogy and the most recent titles by Ben S., plus realizing the Hall of Fame list wasn't up to date anymore, I started to work on that, too, so there's that.  8) *

Olivier Leroux

I'm currently playing Man-Storm for the first time - this must have slipped under my radar, or I forgot that I still meant to play it. Embarrassing, but also pretty cool to be able to experience a completely 'fresh', previously overlooked hans module now.  ;D (Although before that, I replayed Fire and Water and it was still totally awesome and felt just as fresh, after all these years.)

But I'm struggling a bit with the combat in Man-Storm, not sure if this is due to an oversight on my part or to being unfamiliar with the SHUA worldhacks, or whether it's meant to be this difficult. Not the individual battles, mind you, but that you don't seem to be able to heal yourself during missions other than with the two potions you get. Man-Storm also has a "Regeneration" ability but it only seems to work during combat and isn't much use if your opponents are just as fast or even faster than you, so you can't just run away from them and wait for your health to regenerate before they attack. During the first adventure, I had to cheat and reduce the second to last opponent's hitpoints in the editor because the other fights had worn me down too much to still be able to win this one ...  :(

I haven't gotten that far yet with my plans to play through all of the designs again, and I predict it will still be very hard to limit my vote to three, but some memories are slowly starting to come back, and I think I did have favorites. It will be interesting to see whether they are the same ones that come to mind now, or whether I will reconsider after playing everything a second time, but Fire and Water is definitely among them, and IIRC I also really liked Superdead and An Oriental Adventure's Primer. But we'll see.

Oh, btw, did you intentionally leave out Rocco Taku's X-Anime? I know the title says "Your Favorite hans Mod", but since Two-Bit Termite gets to put his design on the list, why not Rocco Taku? Poor guy, always put in second place ...  ;D

hans

Quote from: Olivier Leroux on July 11, 2019, 04:40:13 PM
...Man-Storm also has a "Regeneration" ability but it only seems to work during combat and isn't much use if your opponents are just as fast or even faster than you, so you can't just run away from them and wait for your health to regenerate before they attack. During the first adventure, I had to cheat and reduce the second to last opponent's hitpoints in the editor because the other fights had worn me down too much to still be able to win this one ...  :( ...

You don't have to end a fight until Man-Storm regenerates.  Just extend the combat a few extra rounds after the villain has been defeated. 

As justification for this trick, you can just imagine Man-Storm panting and pulling himself back together as he looks over his fallen antagonist(s) and has some two or three page inner monologue which the mod leaves unrecorded.  But something that would've sounded very Stan Lee.   ;)

Olivier Leroux

Quote from: hans on July 11, 2019, 08:07:03 PM
You don't have to end a fight until Man-Storm regenerates. 

Oh, right. Okay, I see now that you wrote that in the accompanying text file. I guess I should read those more carefully before playing.  :-[

Dinonykos

So far, I have not yet played more than three of your designs, Hans, thus I will postpone my vote until I have played a few more. Unfortunately, I did not find much time for playing FRUA/DC modules during the last months.

But I remember Man-Storm as particularly good. I think I went through it without significant combat problems, but probably because I read the text file...  8)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Olivier Leroux

Quote from: Dinonykos on July 12, 2019, 02:34:04 AM
But I remember Man-Storm as particularly good. I think I went through it without significant combat problems, but probably because I read the text file...  8)

For UA veterans I find it's somewhat of a challenge even if you know about that trick - I just tried it again now and after the fight when the message popped up (Continue Battle Yes/No), I automatically clicked on No again, without thinking ... D'oh!  :o :D

hans

Quote from: Olivier Leroux on July 11, 2019, 04:40:13 PM
...Oh, btw, did you intentionally leave out Rocco Taku's X-Anime? I know the title says "Your Favorite hans Mod", but since Two-Bit Termite gets to put his design on the list, why not Rocco Taku? Poor guy, always put in second place ...  ;D

Yes, it was an intentional omission.  I consider that the worst mod I ever did.  I threw it together fast, and on a whim, as a contest submission.

I thought a big anime crossover would be fun, --and, hopefully it is fun for players.  However, the mod is basically about nothing.  Nothing of intellectual interest lies below the simple actions of the plot.  It's the only mod I've done that really has no underlying theme to it. 

But what really makes it a "Rocco Taku" mod is that I created no characters of my own for it.  It's completely a playing-with-someone-else's-toys mod.  It contains the least amount of "me" in it of all my mods.  Whereas Oddities still has lots of "me" in it.   ;)