News:

Be sure to check out the compiled REVIEWS in the Module Review section, where we have added reviews both past and present.

Main Menu

Which of these spells do you like better?

Started by freetiamat, December 03, 2020, 10:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please choose one option!

Standard Blade Barrier as 6th level cleric spell (2x2 area)
0 (0%)
Larger Blade Barrier as 6th level cleric spell (3x3 area)
2 (25%)
Wall of Fire as 5th level cleric spell (3x3 area)
1 (12.5%)
Wall of Fire as 4th level mage/bard spell (3x3 area)
2 (25%)
Other (please specify. suggestions appreciated!)
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 6

freetiamat

For the module I'm making, I get to make one persistent area effect damage spell out of spell record 101 (Cleric 6: Blade Barrier). Which would be most fun for you? :)

Null Null

Your game, your choice!

But I would say, given all the other changes you are making, why not go all-out and do something weird and new? Make it green and have a save versus poison. Make it blue and do ice or lightning damage. Toss in an effect to save against--maybe it causes confusion, maybe it gives the ghast stench attack ability (Scheissesturm!). Call it the Hand of the Dragon Queen and change the graphic to a hand (plus entangle ability). Have fun. ;)

hans

Although Blade Barrier is one of my favorite spells, it would be great to play with something different for a change.  As "variety is the spice of life," I voted for Wall of Fire as a 5th lvl Cleric spell.

Nol Drek

I vote for the 4th level Mage Spell - Evard's Black Tentacles. I'm fond of this spell that comes from 1st edition Unearthed Arcana. My second choice would be Blade Barrier with a larger area of effect.

Evard's Black Tentacles
Level: 4
Range: 3"
Duration: 1 round/level
Area of Effect: 30 sq. ft. per level of caster

ExplanationlDescription: By means of this spell the caster creates many rubbery, black tentacles in the area of effect of the dweomer. These waving members seem to spring forth from the earth, floor, or whatever surface is underfoot - including water. Each tentacle is 10' long, and there will be one such tentacle for each of the levels of experience of the spell caster. Any creature within range of the writhing tentacles is subject to attack. A victim of a tentacle attack must make a saving throw versus spell. If this succeeds, the victim takes 1-4 hit points of damage from initial contact with the tentacle. Failure to save indicates that the damage inflicted will be 2-8 points, the ebon member is wrapped around its victim, and damage will be 3-12 points on the second and succeeding rounds.
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes — and ships — and sealing-wax — of cabbages — and kings —
And why the sea is boiling hot — and whether pigs have wings."

http://www.noldrek.com

freetiamat

I've been playing with the blade barrier record. So far:

* The damage type dice and number of dice can be altered (thank you Kavidh on Rosedragon)
*  Adding a specab status effect (I tried 'coughing' and 'fumble') doesn't seem to work in this record
* Altering the type of damage is proving difficult. Most of the damage spells put this variable in front of the damage bytes. There's an appropriate field more or less where you'd expect, but if it is that field, then it's set to mundane damage and a damage type text pointer (which says "from magic) must be set separately. And since the various pointers to text fields I found with a UGE module don't seem to share a common offset, I'm dubious I can find them.
* Saving throws are not easily altered. The normal spell record save field is likely targeting an unreferenced spell effect slot.
* There's a byte which supposedly assigns spell record spell record does the blade barrier effect. But I tried it and it just disabled blade barrier without empowering another record.

I'm going to look at Oriental Adventures and see what's been done there. But it's not looking good for Black Tentacles, cause the tentacles holding you in place is pretty central to the spell's feel. It's a shame... it's a great idea and totally appropriate for the game setting :(