News:

Be sure to check out the updated artwork by Vix, located in the "Art Reviews and Previews" board!

Main Menu

Pool of Radiance

Started by hotmustard, December 13, 2020, 11:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotmustard

I have completed my initial playthrough of the main story thread and corrected any bugs that I have found that would prevent completion or prevent play of any part of the game.  If anyone decides to play it and finds a bug or feature request, those can be submitted in this thread or at https://github.com/grannypron/uaf_levels/issues

Distribution is located at the same URL listed earlier in this thread.

manikus

I have downloaded it. :)

The art I had hoped to upload was on the drive that died. :( But, I am making new walls. (I'm just slow)

Positron

Quote from: hotmustard on January 13, 2021, 05:42:31 PMI have completed my initial playthrough of the main story thread and corrected any bugs that I have found that would prevent completion or prevent play of any part of the game.  If anyone decides to play it and finds a bug or feature request, those can be submitted in this thread or at https://github.com/grannypron/uaf_levels/issues

Distribution is located at the same URL listed earlier in this thread.
Hi! I'm new to Pool of Radiance and I was considering playing either your version or Ray's instead of the original to have an improved interface and more character classes. I was wondering if you plan to maintain your version further. I checked Github and I see that there are still a lot of open issues, so I guess the game doesn't quite offer the original experience yet. But I'd be willing to switch to it if my playthrough hasn't advanced too much and your version has matured.

Also by the way, if you straight up imported the prices from Ray's version, there seems to be at least one pricing issue whereby ring mail (100) is more expensive than chain mail (75).

Either way, thanks for doing this!

hotmustard

Hi Positron,

This was kind of a passion project for me.  No I haven't kept up with it - no one else seemed very interested, which made it a lower priority for me.  It's been quite a while but as I recall it was maybe kinda feature complete?  I mean I think it comes down to whether you want to play it in UAF or DungeonCraft.  Ray's is probably way more robust than mine is, but one could always just fix any bugs using DC!

Iron Colossus

@hotmustard I've been lurking around inside your Pool of Radiance design and doing a bit of playtesting and whatnot. I happily noticed that much of the dialogue for some of your events looks pretty close to the original, if not, spot on. What were you working with as far as the source material for the dialogue and other specifics, throughout? Do you, by chance, have some authentic material to directly work with?

For a couple of reasons, I wrote extensive notes down as I played the original game and hunted down some decent online sources for documentation, and have been utilizing YouTube videos:

-First reason was because, like you and others here, I wanted to re-craft Pool of Radiance for Dungeon Craft with upgraded art and other great things;

-and the second reason was that I've been writing up a massive module for 1st Edition AD&D tabletop roleplaying that contains ALL the official stuff from the Pool of Radiance computer game; plus, the content from "Ruins of Adventure"- the official module for Pool of Radiance; along with carefully selected content from the Pool of Radiance novel. Many years ago, I ran Pool of Radiance on tabletop (which went amazingly well), but now I really want to do it right. I do still play 1st edition AD&D, so it might still happen.

I've got so many danged irons in the fire, I'll be lucky if I ever finish either the module or Dungeon Craft project: but I'm gonna try! Even if I don't finish, the excitement I get while working on these PoR projects makes it all worth the work. : )

So, did you, or anyone else reading this - happen to have a good source for the nitty-gritty official details (dialogue, encounter details, stats, etc.) for the Pool of Radiance game?

hotmustard

Hey friend, alls I did was take Ray Dyer's UA "Game 39" module

http://frua.rosedragon.org/modulelist/file.php

and turn it into a DungeonCraft game.  He did all the work to migrate the original content.  I have another project where we were working on a Russian translation of PoR and we extracted all the dialog content from the DOS game here: https://github.com/grannypron/PoR_L10n

I had to stop working on it because of the war.  The extracted dialog strings are all in there somewhere, though.

Lmk if I can help with anything.

Iron Colossus

marainein

Quote from: Iron Colossus on January 03, 2024, 03:58:29 AMSo, did you, or anyone else reading this - happen to have a good source for the nitty-gritty official details (dialogue, encounter details, stats, etc.) for the Pool of Radiance game?
Gold Box Explorer will let you poke around the internals of Pool of Radiance and the rest of the Gold Box games, see all the original text/monsters/choices you could make.

Iron Colossus

@marainein That sounds great! Is it easy to use? Where do I learn more about Gold Box Explorer?

Donnie Ewald

Iron Colossus

@Donnie Ewald Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I've got it up and running and I'm pretty stoked! I've been comparing my online Pool of Radiance resources using the Gold Box Explorer for accuracy and clarity. I'm really hoping this will speed up the process of putting together the Pool of Radiance mega-module.

-To the folks that had a hand in putting together the Gold Box Explorer, my sincere thanks!

Royal Munchkin

@Donnie Ewald Can you use GBE to edit things like character stats or is it just to look into the files?

marainein

I understand Gold Box Companion, a different piece of software to Gold Box Explorer, can also read ECL files, although I haven't tried the latest versions myself. But it may be what you want. https://gbc.zorbus.net/screens.html https://gbc.zorbus.net

Donnie Ewald

Quote from: Royal Munchkin on January 09, 2024, 07:09:28 PM@Donnie Ewald Can you use GBE to edit things like character stats or is it just to look into the files?
I totally agree with marainein here. I'd use Gold Box Companion.

Iron Colossus

I went ahead and also checked out the Gold Box Companion and got it running, too. The Gold Box Companion and Gold Box Explorer are both gems! Both should help me immensely with Pool of Radiance for Dungeon Craft and my AD&D mega-module. = )