News:

Be sure to check out the compiled REVIEWS in the Module Review section, where we have added reviews both past and present.

Main Menu

Trying to build UAFWin in Visual Studio 2022- need HELP!

Started by manikus, June 16, 2023, 12:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manikus

I just installed Visual Studio 2022 (17.6). Added the required C++ addons. Added all of the available SDKs, etc.

When attempting to build UAFWin, I get 38 errors for a missing New.h file.

hotmustard, please advise. I just redownloaded most recent code from github.

edited to add:
Same issue when attempting to build UAFWinEd.

manikus

The call is in AFX.h and is in regards to MFC. This likely means you can disregard this as it is an issue I am having with VS. It says it installed all of the optional MFC downloads. I will uninstall and install again.

hotmustard

I haven't built with 22 yet.  Is there some reason you don't want to use 2019?

manikus

Quote from: hotmustard on June 18, 2023, 04:28:43 PMI haven't built with 22 yet.  Is there some reason you don't want to use 2019?
No reason other than M$ siad *use this!". According to everything in the forums everything that work in 2019 should work 2022.
I'm having a problem with missing MFC files (even after reinstall). The forums seem to indicate I need a particular older SDK that is not on the M$ site - this would be a problem running 2015 and later. If I can't find this SDK and resolve the issue, on the next re-install I will get 2019.

hotmustard

I remember fiddling with the MFC settings for the project but the project file should have those already set.

Search for MFC here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/reference/general-property-page-project?view=msvc-170

hotmustard

Here is where afx.h is in my installation:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\include\afx.h

My Project Configuation -> VC++ Directories -> Include Directories is set to:
$(VC_IncludePath);$(WindowsSdk_71A_IncludePath);

which is where I suspect that path gets included.

manikus

Finally have all of the varioius installs...now I receive:
Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error LNK1181 cannot open input file 'ddraw.lib' UAFWin C:\__GitHub_Dungeon_Craft__\SOURCE\uaf-5.30\src\UAFWin\LINK 1

manikus

Same error when attempting to build UAFWinEd. cdx compiles just fine.

ProphetSword

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

manikus

I have looked at both of those. :lol: If I need to, I think I can resolve this (I hope).

I am mostly concerned that I downloaded the code, put it into Visual Studio and can not compile it (once I had all of the "optional" addons). In the past this kind of thing has occurred because I was using a newer version of VS than the project/solution/code was supporting. It seems like the kind of thing that would be good for the community to know. Then we can go about resolving it, even if the resolution is to only use a certain version or versions of VS.

hotmustard

The error above is because ddraw.lib is not on your linker path, not because of the version of Visual Studio.

manikus

I don't know if that is better or worse to know.
I download a version of VS, jump through all the hoops, including tricking it into finally getting the right addons, and I still can't compile.
It might be that I am the dumbest person using VS, or at least VS 2022. But it might be that this is so convoluted, I just go back to working on addons for Blender and GIMP.

Everyone here has been a big help. I will get around to making this work, but I have certainly lost my momentum. If I didn't really want to have a 960x600 layout, I would just move on. :lol: Maybe there aer even other things to do...