News:

Be sure to check out the updated artwork by Vix, located in the "Art Reviews and Previews" board!

Main Menu

State of the Realm

Started by Ray, April 22, 2024, 04:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray

I just posted this in response to tsg elsewhere on the forums, but I've been meaning to say something about this for a couple of weeks.

The flopsyville domain name was getting too expensive to maintain after AT&T laid off its entire instructional design department, and all the free sites that I have checked out aren't actually free. I'm still looking, but unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a spot (that I've found at this point) where I can sign up for a free site, and then just upload the pages that I created all those years ago.

I'm starting up a new job at the moment, so the search wasn't thorough...and like the first part of my response, it's also not over.

I do hope to get The Realm up and visible on the internet again sometime soon!

Milos Gulan

Why not try to ask admin to get shared domain like the rest of us that work with DC... I think it would be useful, if anything I could maybe host it beside my presentation, and maybe help a bit with it, I still hope to make version in my language (Serbian and similar :))...

I really think The Realms Series are just great because of their continuity and other cool things... I hope to make some changes eventually in the future, maybe improved art, new maps and translation to other languages...

But... as things are going right now I am a bit busy, even playing is rare for me... But I need to get my online campaign up again beside all other things.... But Ad&d is the thing that is first hobby for me and probably will remain like that for me, beside making my own RPG...

Now on the good side I got bunch of RPGs from GoG on discount, and though I have installed some of them I probably will not play them that much but I might do reviews... I am still missing some of Ad&d titles to fully  complete my collection but I now I got much more then I have dreamed few years ago... But right now I will probably not play much except Knights of the Pen and Paper 2 (have to get part 3 too :)) and it somehow got me in the mood for the rest of chibi like games that are made with RPG Maker... Making games with it probably will not happen soon :(

Anyway I am really into FRUA and DC... beside my tabletop and online campaigns... but first I need to finish that thesis to be able to get diploam finaly... That is what I need to really take care of beside gardening and tourism in the summer... Lately gardening is hard and work outside is mostly enough for me to not do anything beside resting...

Things are going good, except that thesis... I also have been using this table in my DC mod and FRUA game (Greyhawk Adventures by Nol Drek)... And made chars with low stats, and not being able to raise them trough the game... Wishing for training event to pay for stats leveling up, with higher scores being more expensive... Anyway interesting is that DC can't get abilty below 3 which means character cant be blind or with 0 score or maybe below... not sure how it is in FRUA...

Anyway I need to go to work in the garden. I hope we can make The Realm work even better, I really think is one of the greatest Ad&d adventures or campaign that I have ever seen, and would like to make it available for anyone and in other languages too and improvement is I guess also  an option. Trouble for me is that I am familiar with DC, but FRUA for me is a bit hard to work with, because I don't have experience with it, though I would like to make mods in it too...  :tears: 

Milos Gulan

Just a note table is from Ravenloft, Domains of Dread... According to it ability 14+ are very rare and by my thinking not for starting chars... Now, that changed my perspective about ability starting rolls and I was thinking why not to roll 1d8 or maybe 1d10 or 1d12 for normal abilities and only 3d6 for main abilities (fighter Str for example)... Also that means some stats could be 1 and also 0 is possibility if stat is not present... Anyway that thinking got me with low stat party, average 8 and maybe with one 14... and in most FRUA and DC games those guys can't make any progress without lots of grinding or even messing with editor... So, just my recent thoughts about FRUA high abilities as a normal starting routine... Off to work now  :uh what:

steve_mcdee

Ability scores don't really change much, so they are more like innate traits -- eg, strength does not increase when a character works out. So I don't think there is any reason why a "starting character" shouldn't have a score above 14; it's just relatively rare for anyone to have those scores.

Nol Drek

By default, FRUA rolls 3d6 6 times and keeps the highest roll for each ability. This is Method III for rolling ability scores from the 1st edition DMG.

There is a bug in FRUA that makes it more difficult to roll an 18 in Wisdom than it is for all the other abilities.
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes — and ships — and sealing-wax — of cabbages — and kings —
And why the sea is boiling hot — and whether pigs have wings."

http://www.noldrek.com

Milos Gulan

Quote from: steve_mcdee on April 24, 2024, 05:32:41 PMAbility scores don't really change much, so they are more like innate traits -- eg, strength does not increase when a character works out. So I don't think there is any reason why a "starting character" shouldn't have a score above 14; it's just relatively rare for anyone to have those scores.

They can change with items (Tomes of...), also there are rules in Player Option books I think Skills and Powers... I am sure that they can be increased with skill points which are gained every level... here is also an article about it... https://dragonsneverforget.wordpress.com/2019/02/08/ability-score-restrictions-in-adnd-2e/

Anyway I think they can be improved with training and study like with those tome items...

Nol Drek

As Ray announced elsewhere, the Realm has a new home and is now located at: The Realm.

The discussion of dice rolls in FRUA continues at: Dice Rolls in FRUA
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes — and ships — and sealing-wax — of cabbages — and kings —
And why the sea is boiling hot — and whether pigs have wings."

http://www.noldrek.com